Friday, September 12, 2008

"Burn After Reading" -- review

Hmm.

First of all, a sneak peek preview is a weird way to see a movie. It reminded me of going to see my cousins' college movie project (which was really funny Dave -- way to go!) -- there was an intimate and artsy vibe that you don't usually get at the theatre.

The part that was weird and distracting was how the setting affected the reactions of a few people. There were a certain amount of folk who were clearly over reacting to the funny stuff and sort of funny, not quite super loud belly laugh, funny stuff. And I say this as one who has been the only one laughing in a theater before -- this was not a few oddball senses of humor -- this was laughing for the guy in the back who was taking notes on a clipboard.

Again, weird and distracting and possibly the reason I didn't seem to be able to fully engage with the movie. Or maybe the movie wasn't all that engaging -- I still can't tell, thus the "hmm".

The movie started a little slow and I never felt the payoff of a truly complicated plot. It was twisty and layered, and yet nothing seemed all that new. There were plenty of great moments, Brad Pitt plays a perfect goof, Frances McDormand is always perfect -- everybody had a funny vignette or two, but overall there was something too purposeful or seemingly planned and it left me a little underwhelmed.

At the same time, there were funny bits that are still sinking in today. I keep chuckling about George Clooney huffing off with a special pillow and other little gem moments that I don't want to spill and spoil. I liked all the scenes with J.K. Simmons right away (he played Juno's dad and was an intelligence guy in this movie) -- none of his stuff seemed contrived and was good darkly silly stuff.

I recommend this movie based on the plentiful farcey antics of all. There is nothing that I hated about this movie -- I'm also not overly enthusiastic about it either. It's a -- see for yourself -- type of movie. Go see it.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

Blogger kim said...

"It’s sort of like a meal in which the entrée is mediocre but the side dishes are to die for." Kansas city reviewer

I read reviews after I wrote mine so I wouldn't taint my view. This quote is just what I was trying to say.

12:54 PM  
Blogger Cecily R said...

Jon really wants to see this...maybe I'll wait for the DVD to come out.

1:38 PM  
Blogger KATE said...

I'm kind of sad, I was so excited to see it! I'm VERY excited about the cast and that is what usually gets me to the movies! I LOVE J.K. Simmons, he's a fave and his Juno role just sealed that for me! I love the preview shots of Brad Pitt, he does look like the perfect Dumb Ass! hee hee

Sorry you were underwhelmed, excited still to see it and see how I like the "side dishes" ha ha!

2:08 PM  
Blogger kay said...

well good to know. i don't like brad pitt (i know gasp!) but i love frances so i was torn. now i'll just wait for it to come out on DVD.

thanks for the review kim!

7:21 PM  
Blogger free movies said...

http://www.80millionmoviesfree.com

10:44 PM  
Blogger kim said...

kate and cecily -- i was really excited for it too :o(.

kay -- i'm not a big brad pitt fan either. i love him in many of his movies, but when i see him in interviews i get a little squirmy sometimes. like when the kids have a friend over who is an adult pleaser. you know the kid who would throw your kid under a bus if they thought it would gain them favor with a grown up????
anyway, i get that "saying what you want to hear" thing from him.

...who are you really, brad pitt?

10:37 AM  
Blogger kim said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:41 AM  
Blogger blog author said...

i completely believe that Brad Pitt is a total goof in real life. i think the red carpet act he has down is just that...an Act.

i may just wait to rent this one.

10:21 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home