Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I'm going to do it

I'm a fairly "live and let live" kind of girl. I'm sure with a preface like that, you can see a judgment coming, right? And given the shleppy shlep you can find me wearing most days, I really have no business, but...

Oh my gosh -- I have never wanted to get hold of someone and turn them into a makeover show so bad as I do with a person I see almost daily. The thing is, she is in a power position, she is in her twenties and she dresses like she is on her way to a knitting circle, "the girls" are large and hang way too low on her tiny little frame, and again -- I have no business pointing fingers at posture issues, but -- the woman hunches over in that way that makes it seem like she is sorry for taking up space.

That last thing is what gets me the most and I'll tell you why -- my inner feminist doesn't like it. You are in your twenties and you are in a leadership position -- don't apologize for that or try to be small so people will still like you, that's a total girl trap (it may happen to guys too, but I've only experienced it with us and maybe one guy I used to work with, but I think it's safe to call it a woman issue).

I see why a twenty something could make the fashion mistakes confusing frump with conservative dressing. The boobs? She's breastfeeding, maybe between the new baby and the power job, she's no time to shop for a proper fit (I went close to five years in the same bra -- I tried a couple of times in those years to get a new one, but when I had kids I lost all patients for shopping. I really mean it -- if by the second bra I tried on, I hadn't found a good fit -- too bad, so sad -- I need to get out of here!) Perhaps the posture is because of the weight of her front, but put it all together and I feel a great need to help this woman before she discovers fashion, correct undergear and gets confident all too late to enjoy all the cool things you get to wear in your twenties. Not to mention the role model opportunity to have unapologetically acheived so much, so young.

Maybe I submit to them all -- appeal to Oprah on the basis of the woman in power thing. Stacy and Clinton would just need pictures and her age. Who else? How Do I Look? How do you get on that show?

She represents so many of us, someone has to take her under their wing -- if I were in her circle, I'd jump at it, but I'm not. I'm a mom who deals with her in her professional capacity, so my only hope is to turn her in or stalk her friends and give them tips to pass on.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger AutoSysGene said...

LOL! I love the labels!! You need a camera phone and you'll be all set!!
I'm bad I would have to report her to Stacey and Clinton. Your right, she is wasting good clothing time.

4:33 PM  
Blogger TTQ said...

You should do it! Sometimes the outside falls by the wayside when we are busy with other things..

4:50 PM  
Blogger kay said...

you go girl!! love it when women want to help empower those who don't have a clue!

7:12 AM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Maybe if you present it in the manner of you see her "possibilities"? Man, I don't know.

5:26 PM  
Blogger xxxx said...

Ohhhh! I know exactly what you mean! You will find a way, I know it :)

12:29 AM  
Blogger Liane Spicer said...

You're a lot braver than I am there. It would have to be a very close friend for me to even think of helping with something like that. Tread carefully - people can be very touchy about what they consider their personal taste or style.

An outspoken young lady joined the staff at a school where I worked once, and her probably well-meaning advice had everyone in an uproar. She told one woman that she ought to wear a bigger bra, and another that she should try setting her hair on rollers... and so on.

I'm not suggesting that you would be tactless like this girl obviously was, but people often resent other people telling them how they should dress!

7:46 PM  
Blogger kim said...

If I ever do, I would turn her in anonymously. There's nothing worse than being "should" on, but if she got a ten thousand dollar shopping spree along with it, it might soften the blow.

I've no room to point a fashion flaw finger. I feel she deserves a makeover more than she needs one -- if that makes any sense. If it was about need, our whole town could be turned in.

It's her age and those clothes that scream "retired and going on a cruise" --- no, no, no.

9:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home