Sunday, November 06, 2005

It's easy if you try

I have a close family member who has never been any good at showing up. God bless him, his heart is good -- there's a lot of love in there, he's just never been able to tap it for any kind of action other than saying how much he wishes he could do.

Along comes the internet bearing gifts for keeping in touch with those so far away. Can I get a couple of words on the pictures of your grandchildren? Yes, about one tenth of the time you can and just a couple of words -- gotta save those words for talking about me, but I'll tell you what I can do -- I can forward chain letters to you.

The internet has these really profound, life changing thoughts on God and degrading humor about woman and funny videos of running cars (okay, the running car was pretty cute) -- I'll make sure you don't miss any, in fact, I get a bonus for forwarding it to you and you can too!
Suprises await and God will love you for taking time for him.

Dad, for the love of Pete, everyone knows e-mail chain letters suck, and frankly, it would be nice to be more than just one of the ten people you don't feel guilty about forwarding crappy e-mail to.

And let's talk about the message of those crappy e-mails for a minute. Do you really think having things, doing things, watching TV and being on the internet is the work of the devil?

How about -- trying to make me feel guilty for everything I do is the oldest trick in the book. Don't you think keeping everybody in a state of self-loathing, fear, hatred toward one another is the real work of evil?

Turn off the Harry Chapin dad, and take a minute to sit down and be thoughtful -- I know you can do it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home