Wednesday, May 24, 2006

God has a plan, see, and he wants you to...

Yesterday was my birthday and I was going to reveal the meaning of life to you all during a reflection on my 39 years in this world.

Unfortunately, my family was having none of this quiet time for mom crap and my muse finally told me to fuck off. Too bad, because universal knowledge opens to me on my birthday and I knew all -- maybe next year I'll get it down for you.

Despite losing my opportunity to bring peace and harmony to the world, I had a great birthday. There was no cooking (of dinner anyway) --I picked up a pizza and some Cold Stone Creamery fun. From Lizzie I was handed a formal invitation -- complete with glued on feathers-- to a special performance she had created just for me (song and dance -- beautiful). Winnie drew pictures for me and made me a fan which came complete with lessons on how the Chinese use them to communicate things like, "I'm sorry", how to request a kiss, "go away", and "come on over". Frankie did homework with Winnie so I didn't have to. Rich brought me chocolate and some cash to get the bedspread I'm after -- then he put the kids to bed and I watched several TiVo-ed episodes of Divine Design.

And now my family has one year to plan the big 4o bash. Although, you do realize that birthdays mark the end of a completed year, so I am in my fortieth year right now -- the thirties are officially gone. For the record of my 30's, I missed my 36th year, I was 37 twice. I thought I was 37 almost the entire year until a friend was figuring out his and Rich's birthday and knew how much younger I was than Rich and pointed out that it was not possible for me to be 37 if he was only turning 38. No wonder I looked so good for 37!

I'm not one to give too big a crap about getting old -- of course I care some, but not much -- I'm just glad the Earth is still sustaining us and that I get to be here for another chance to get some things right and to enjoy the good stuff.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger pr!tz said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KIM!!!
I missed it, dint I? :-(
Today is one of my BESTest friends birthday!!!
Btw, do you know when's my birthday?
;-)

1:38 PM  
Blogger kim said...

Pritz!

Now, I'm trying to remember if we discussed the actual date or not --hmmm.

I'm going to guess June 7 or June 9. Or June 3?

Tell me if I'm right and I'll tell you why I guessed those particular numbers.

9:30 PM  
Blogger kim said...

Oh, and lovely new photo.

9:33 PM  
Blogger Airelee said...

Happy Birthday, Derph! Interesting what you wrote about this actually being your 40th year. I never considered my age in that light. If I were smarter and more thoughtful, I might even be depressed by that thought. But, alas, I am not.

Back to loafing!

5:07 PM  
Blogger blog author said...

happy (late) birthday! as for the 'age' factor...i just always say it's a celebration of the anniversary of my 29th birthday. for example, this year was the 7th anniversary of my 29th birthday. that helps :) hahaha
i also convince myself that my birth certificate is incorrect and that my mother is a chronic liar....there's no way i'm 36. i still get carded for pete's sake.

12:07 PM  
Blogger pr!tz said...

three guesses. All wrong! one was close enough. Now temme, why didi you guess those numbers? And this pic was supposed to be anything but lovely! I was trying to click a 'scary pic' of mine. shoot!

1:16 PM  
Blogger kim said...

I guessed because those were the most spiritual numbers I could think of and you are very spiritual.

Scary? Uh, no. Artsy -- it's a very artsy photo -- looks like a movie poster.

e-mail me your actual birthday -- I must know.

10:10 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home