Sunday, March 25, 2007

The jungle room

















I did a room at a home and garden show last year (maybe two years ago?). I wasn't quite ready to go into business just yet, but Rich does these shows for our retaining wall business and the coordinator was panicked when California Closets pulled out at the last minute -- so I did a jungle room. I had three weeks to pull it together, which was no easy task with kids still at home.

The jungle room was inspired by the camouflage wall I did in Frankie's room (which I love because if you look at it long enough it's like lava lamp. And oops on posting his wall picture twice, but I can't figure out how to remove it).

I didn't have time to do the full fat blobs as it takes a while and I only had two work days to set up and paint -- which was fun because I got to pretend I was on extreme home makeover (I can't believe they do that in a week and the muralists have a day to get those walls painted.).

The white dresser with the faux stone and copper top was already done. The giraffe cabinet was road kill that Rich brought home for me (great score!). The corner cabinet is a painted thing from Target -- which I need to redo because it's in my living room now (as is the chair and giraffe thing) -- it may be great for a kids room, but with all three pieces in use it's a bit more jungle than I want for my living room.

The hooks, shelves and candlesticks where all whipped up for the room as well.

I have to say, if you ever get a chance to work a home show, go for it -- it was like being an upscale carni. The booth behind me was hawking these rubber brooms ("the last broom you'll ever need. If you own a hair salon it's a must have...") -- that women gathered a crowd -- I had much desire to take over for her a time or two. Her or the ladder guy -- holy Ron Popeil -- you never saw so many people buying a thousand dollar ladder in your life.

I bonded with the ring cleaning couple who had the booth next to Rich's -- I totally brought in some people for them -- if I'd only had a bullhorn I could have gotten them all!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger kim said...

That's Lizzie snuck into the last shot there with Po. That has to be two years ago. Judging by the look on her face, I did not ask permission to take her picture.

Winnie will strike a pose at the site of a lense -- Lizzie MUST be asked first or no dice.

3:55 PM  
Blogger TTQ said...

She is adorable! I love the curtain tie backs!

7:04 PM  
Blogger xxxx said...

That's amazing! I am so impressed!

11:24 PM  
Blogger kim said...

ttq- Isn't she though?! Love my babies.

and -- you are genius, because I only saw those as clothes hooks, but they'd be PERFECT as tie backs. From a mareketing standpoint -- I can sell them as either/or -- who doesn't love double function?

9:57 AM  
Blogger kim said...

thanks swishy :o)

9:58 AM  
Blogger pr!tz said...

awesome. I cud never dare to touch my wall with paint.

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home