Saturday, June 30, 2007

"Hey, isn't Milwaukee an Indian name?" "Yes, Pete, it is. In fact, it was originally an Algonquin term meaning "the good land." " -- Alice Cooper





Last eve, while planting a hydrangea with Winnie, we shoveled into this chunk of rock. It was clumped with dirt -- I thought it was a piece of a broken terra cotta pot at first and was ready to pitch it over the side of the hill, but it was too heavy and the shape was intriguing, so I hosed it off.

It looks like a scraping tool -- it's a smidge over 4 inches long and it's very ergonomic if I hold it like I wanted to scrape a skin or something -- it's really sharp too.

I've gone from thinking it's a cool shaped rock to considering the possibility that it may be authentic. And the more I consider that it is -- the more geeked and full of wonder I feel, because, dude, what if an actual person used this in my front yard?

I'm going to take it to our local nature center and see what I can find. If it turns out to be something, I may have to do a little more digging around because I found it in fairly undisturbed land -- it's wooded and has never been a farm or developed. I live in a fairly historic and untouched part of my town. Wouldn't it be cool if the field stone I tossed over the edge of the hill were actually one of those rubbing stones and maybe the seed grinding plate is still down there somewhere???

Okay, maybe I go too far, you can't put the shovel in the ground without hitting a stone, but still -- perhaps the clubhouse rests on the same spot as Chief Bull Bear and family once lived.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger kay said...

i am a clan of the cave bear freak so i'm quite excited for you!! keep us updated and maybe we can all come and dig up some cool stuff on your land. :)

10:02 AM  
Blogger TTQ said...

Pretty cool, all you might find around here are tiles from the Space Shuttle.. amzing when you think that in your yard you have ancient history and in our modern history.

Though down on the Indian River you might find some Indian artifacts which is only about two miles away. Mostly it was just a trading route. Not actual civilization of Indians. I think.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a friend from France who goes out to the Sahara desert to camp out and see the stars.
He's come across stone age tools all the time.

I've gotten a few over the years and they look a bit like your piece. Take it to the nearest university, they should be able to help you figure out weather it's an actual tool or just a clever hoax. Which reminds me-

http://ambergriscaye.com/museum/digit25.html

5:14 PM  
Blogger kim said...

good idea

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home